Our New Iberia licensed electricians to do everything within their power to make sure our customers’ electrical systems are properly functioning and safe. We help protect our customers from electrical emergencies by providing professional electrical repairs and electrical services that will help prevent electrical hazards. But, we know our limitation: as much as we’d like to, we know that we can’t be at your home at every moment to help you to prevent electrical issues. So, Pipes & Plugs thought the next best thing would be to share with you this helpful tool that will help you to practice electrical safety all the time. Each year thousands of people are affected by electrical fires and many will die or become injured due to electrical shock. Protect yourself, your family, and your property by being proactive about electrical safety in New Iberia.
Electrical Safety Checklist for New Iberia & Lafayette Residents & Business Owners
- Use outlet covers on all electrical outlets within reach of small children to prevent electrical shock. Children oftentimes insert keys, coins, and other small metal objects into the outlets and this can cause serious injuries. Outlet covers are very inexpensive, easy to use, and they could save your toddler from a visit to the emergency room.
- Only place light bulbs of the appropriate wattage in all your lamps and ceiling fixtures. If you place a higher wattage bulb in a lighting fixture, the fixture could overheat and start a fire. The same rule applies to holiday lighting—don’t mix and match holiday light bulbs; you must replace the non-operational bulb with one of the same wattages.
- Extension cords must be kept out of reach of small children. As many of us know, children like to put things in their mouths, and electrical cords are no exception! Mouth electrical burns are reported each year for this reason.
- Keep your appliance cords away from ovens, toaster ovens, stovetop burners, and toasters. Appliance cords can melt when placed near excessive heat.
- Unplug kitchen appliances when you’re not using them to prevent an unnecessary fire risk.
- Carefully examine your electrical cords. Look for frays or cracks, and if you find any replace the cord immediately. Damaged cords can have exposed electrical wiring which creates the risk of electrical shock and fire.
- Don’t leave electrical cords in heavily-trafficked areas. The cords are likely to become damaged.
- NEVER attempt electrical installations or electrical repairs by yourself! Call an electrical contractor from Pipes & Plugs to make sure the electrical service is performed safely and correctly.
If you have a question about the electrical safety of your New Iberia home or business, don’t hesitate to give Pipes & Plugs a call. We’re here to perform electrical service and prevent electrical emergencies in any way that we can!
For money-saving tips and coupons, customer referrals or testimonials, and expert information, visit us on the web or call one of our friendly representatives. At Pipes and Plugs our #1 goal is to provide friendly, quality work 100% of the time.