Many people spend months planning a family vacation but zero time preparing their home for their absence. The fact is problems oftentimes arise at home while no one is there to notice, causing serious damages. If you take a little time to make sure your home is ready to sit empty for a while, you’ll be able to relax more while on vacation and avoid coming home to any unpleasant surprises. Our plumbers and electricians want to fill you in on a few ways to prep your home before you leave on vacation.
How to Prepare Your Plumbing Before You Leave On Vacation – Tips From Your Abbeville Plumbers
- Eliminate waste from your garbage disposal. Don’t let scraps sit there getting smelly while you’re gone; just run the garbage disposer before you leave.
- Turn off your main water valve. This way you won’t have to worry about water leaks and costly water damage occurring while you’re not home to call your local plumber.
- Change the setting of your water heater. Most water heaters have a “vacation” mode. In this setting, the water heater will use less energy, so that you can save money while you don’t need all that hot water.
- Add a half cup of chlorine to your toilet bowls. If you’ll be gone for an extended period of time, a little chlorine in each toilet bowl will help to prevent stains caused by bacteria.
How to Protect Your Electronics While Away On Vacation – Tips From Your Abbeville Electricians
- Get surge protection. Items like televisions, computers, and refrigerators are expensive and can be damaged or ruined in a power surge. The best way to protect your electronics and appliances from power surges is to get surge protection installed by your local electrician.
- Unplug electronics. If you don’t have surge protection, you’ll definitely want to unplug your pricey electronics while you’re away on vacation. If they’re not plugged in they won’t be affected by sudden power surges, and, as an added bonus, you’ll save money because they won’t be eating up electricity while you’re gone either!
Rest, rejuvenate, and have a blast on vacation, then come home to a problem-free home! If you ever do come home to an electrical or plumbing problem, Pipes & Plugs is here for all your electrical service and plumbing service needs in Abbeville, New Iberia, and Lafayette!